If you’re a Commodore 64 fan like me but would like to use it on a HDTV or HDMI Monitor, what are your options. Here is my in depth look at whats available so that you can continue using your commodore 64 with the clearest picture quality you can get.
There are any options available, some more expensive than others.
Bitfunx RetroScaler 2x A/V Converter and Line-doubler for Retro Game Consoles
Signals / Resolutions:
The RetroScaler2x can accept 240p/480i/288p/576i NTSC/PAL sources to converter to 480p/576p HDMI output (480p for NTSC, 576p for PAL). For example 240p signals are supported properly, allowing for a completely progressive linedouble to 480p. 480i signals are deinterlaced and doubled also to 480p. Keep in mind that the output resolution of this device only up to 480p/576p.
The RetroScaler2x is a zero lag device, proven using multiple measurements and different devices.
Both NTSC and PAL signals are supported, but they are not converted to each other. That means you can plug in whatever signal your target device is compatible with, but NTSC might not work on PAL HDMI devices and vice versa.
The “FIL” mode is completely preference-based, but the average retro-gamer prefers the FIL mode off for 2D games (SNES, Genesis, etc) and on for 3D games (N64, Saturn, etc). Also, the FIL mode might help reduce flicker with some 480i-only games.
Another great feature of the RetroScaler2x is that it outputs a true 480p60 signal, making it compatible with every device I tested it with! Compatibility is a big issue for retro-gamers, as modern displays aren’t used to the resolution or refresh rate of these older consoles. This device is an excellent help for streamers who want the highest chance of compatibility.
Performance – Audio:
Audio performance on the RetroScaler2X is good although we would have to stop short of saying it was perfect. In general uses there are no issues with the audio digitization but on brassiere sounds like explosions the output may sound a little rougher than it did through the OSSC. This isn’t something you’re likely to even notice on a TVs speakers, though you might if you have an external amp or home theatre system. In that case of course, it’s usually perfectly easy to route audio around the RetroScaler2X anyway.
By putting the RetroScaler2X into pass-through mode, incoming composite, s-video or component signals are simply transparent and digitized into HDMI. Support for 240p is rare in the world of HDMI, but by adding a simple HDMI to VGA converter, you can convert the signal back to the analogue domain again. This makes the unit a perfect transcoder to go with 15 kHz displays like PVMs, or of course, the OSSC.
DVS 304 DVI
Four Input Video and RGB Scaler with DVI OutputKey Features
- RGB, HDTV, and video scaling
- RGB upscaling and downscaling
- Selectable output rates from 640×480 to 1920×1200, including HDTV 1080p/60
- Simultaneous DVI and analog RGB or HD component video outputs
- EDID Minder® automatically manages EDID communication between connected devices
- Auto Input Format Detection
Seven Input Configurable Switcher with Integrated Video ScalerThis product has been retired.Key Features
- Compatible with RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, component video, S-video, and composite video signals
- Universal display control via RS-232 or IR
- Scaled outputs for composite video, S-video, and component video inputs
- Configurable room control function buttons
- IR remote learning capabilities
- Triple-Action Switching™ for RGB delay
The RetroTINK-2X is a plug-and-play, ultra-low latency line doubler. Connect your retro-console over composite, S-Video and component to your modern display! Inputs: Component, S-video and CompositeFormats: 240p/480i, 288p/576i, NTSC and PAL and PAL-60Output: miniHDMI at 480p/576p (line-doubled mode) or input resolution (pass-thru mode)Latency: About 53 microsecondsAudio: 24-bit stereoOptional smoothing filterPlexi-glass enclosurePower: microUSB input. You will need to supply a microUSB power cord and adaptor. The RT2X uses minimal power so a 500 mA phone charger is sufficent. The best source would be the USB port on your TV/monitor.
OSSC Open Source Scan Converter
1x SCART – Supports RGBs (clean csync, cvideosync, luma sync), RGsB, Ypbpr
1x Component video – Supports Ypbpr and RGsB signals
1x D-SUB15 (VGA) – Supports RGBHV, RGBs,RGsB, Ypbpr 2x 3.5mm analogue audio – Supports all analogue audio. Input 1 can be toggled between output (from AV1/SCART) or input
Composite video and S-Video are NOT supported and require an adapter/transcoder
1x HDMI or DVI-D (with adapter) (digital only, including audio). Full-range 24-bit RGB output through DVI/HDMI
1x Analogue audio 3.5mm (input/output toggle)
Supported Input Resolutions
240p/288p/480i/576i 15khz 25khz medium-res modes 480p/576p/720p/1080i 31khz Supported output resolutions
• Backlit LCD
• SD Card socket for firmware updates
• JTAG connector
• IR receiver
• Power requirements:DC 5V 1 Amp – 2.1 x 5.5mm positive tip
• Power Adaptor with Multiple Plugs Included
• Full OSSC User’s Manual
Viewsonic NextVision N6
Picture-in-picture viewing When connected to a PC you can view a video or TV window over your data screen.
• Closed caption technology* Displays text overlay of spoken audio over video.
• SAP/MTS stereo* Allows the reception of audio other than main programming audio.
• Parental control* Built-in V chip allows controlled programming based on a selected rating system.
• RGB computer pass-through Watch TV or enjoy your DVD movie without turning on your computer.
• Auto tuning Auto tuning of TV broadcast and cable TV channels.
• Multiple channel viewing Multiview supports 9 individual TV channel windows with 1 active window.
• Sleep timer Built-in sleep timer automatically shuts off display at pre-determined times.
• Easy connection and control The NextVision N6 is an external plug-and-play tabletop configuration requiring no software drivers or internal computer installation.
• Convenient 28-key remote control ViewSonic® *Closed Caption, SAP/MTS and parental control may not be available in all regions. Specifications subject to change without notice. Selection, offers and programs may vary by country; see your ViewSonic representative for complete details. Corporate names, trademarks stated herein are the property of their respective companies. Copyright © 2002 ViewSonic Corporation. All rights reserved. [10625-00B-06/02] N6-1 381 Brea Canyon Road, Walnut, CA
Amanka RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Converter
This converter works great with either 720p or 1080p TVs,
and the output mode is easily selectable with a switch on the device.
This converter’s advanced processing allowing you to get the clearest picture quality possible with optimal color and detail reproduction.
Both video and audio are integrated into the HDMI output, providing an all-digital signal to maximize the fidelity of the audio and video.
1. Input ports: 1xRCA (Yellow, White, Red), USB power
2. Output ports: 1xHDMI(standard)
3. NTSC/PAL compatible
4. Composite input: PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N
5. HDMI output: 1080p/60Hz, 720p/60Hz
6. Dimensions (mm): 72(D)x55(W)x20(H)
7. Weight (g): 40g
8. Power: USB Port
No need to install drivers, portable, flexible, plug and play.
Support PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M, PAL/N standard TV formats input. Output the audio synchronization with video.
Can be displayed on Monitor/ TV with 1920×1080@60Hz High bandwidth capability